Sunday 22 January 2012

Pizza - The best cure for a hangover

The morning after a night out on the beer, wine, cider, or whatever your favourite poison is, you are going to need something to cure a hangover. Different people have different ideas on the best hangover cure and it is up to you to find out what works best for you.  

Alcohol consumption leads to dehydration therefore many people regard water as the way to cure a hangover because it rehydrates you. In the UK, many people consider a fry up to be the best hangover food and will seek a greasy fried breakfast, consisting of eggs, bacon, hash browns, fried bread, beans, mushrooms, sausages and tomatoes for the ultimate hangover cure. Some people think the only way to cure a hangover is to have another alcoholic beverage, a process that is affectionately known as “the hair of the dog”. Besides the above, there are other hangover cures so it pays to experiment. 

I have tried various different over the counter drugs, pills, non-alcoholic drinks and different “hangover food” types to cure a hangover over the years and I have to say the one that works best for me is pizza.  

Like many people, I get hungry after a few beers and will get a craving for some “junk” food. It is during this stage where I actually start to combat the hangover I know I will be waking up with. Instead of going for a burger, a kebab, a Chinese takeout, a curry or some chips like many people will, I will actively seek out a pizza shop. My preferred pizza outlet is Pizza Hut, but by the time I am ready to set the wheels in motion to cure a hangover my local Pizza Hut outlets are closed, but there is always a Dominos open.  

The Dominos pizza menu is vast and there are several different varieties. As well as thin crust, stuffed crust or deep pan there are numerous different toppings, such as Cheese, chicken, vegetables, beef, seafood or a combination of the whole lot. The best pizza off the Dominos pizza menu after a few drinks is a plain cheese and tomato, It may sound a bit boring but I find that eating a fully loaded pizza after a few drinks ends up in a lot more than just a headache, feeling dizzy and having a bit of a stomach ache. The trick is to keep it plain, keep it simple and keep it “boring”. 

In these tough economic times money can be a bit tight therefore rather than buying a pizza before I return home I will make a homemade pizza to eat when I get home, or when wake from my slumber, if I can’t be bothered to cook the pizza when I get home. Making a homemade pizza is dead simple and all you need are readymade pizza bases, a tube of tomato puree, some cheese and whatever topping you want. When making homemade pizza, once again I will stick to a basic cheese and tomato as this settles the stomach better than a fully loaded pizza.

So, the next time you are out for a few drinks and want to avoid a hangover try eating a pizza before you go to sleep. There are many different types of hangover food, although I would say a shop bought pizza, or even a homemade pizza is by far the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment