Friday 14 July 2017

When to use a ring flash for dragonfly photography

My normal lens of choice is a long reach zoom lens (the Canon 100 – 400L IS lens – Full review here) as this lens allows me to keep a fair distance from the dragonfly, so not to spook it and scare it off, and use the zoom to get in nice and close for a frame filling shot. It is easily possible to capture awesome dragonfly photos with a long reach tele lens, but it is not possible to get macro shots of dragonflies using these lenses.

When I want to take true macro shots or extreme close up shots of dragonflies I have to use my macro lens (the Canon 100mm f2.8L IS macro lens – full review here). 


When I use my macro lens and want to add an extra burst of light I can’t use the speed light I normally use for dragonfly photography (my Godox TT350 – full review here) as the lens creates a shadow over the dragonfly that the flash will not illuminate.

When I use my macro lens for taking photos of dragonflies I have to use either my Yongnuo YN14 ring flash or Yongnuo YN24 macro twin light. The specific macro flashes attach to the end of the lens, which means it is impossible not to light (and hence eradicate) any shadow cast over the subject by the macro lens.

Yongnuo YN14 ring flash (full review here)

GUIDE NUMBER (ISO 100) – 14M/ ZOOM HEAD – NO/ TTL AUTO EXPOSURE – YES/ HSS – NO/ MANUAL – YES. 1/1 – 1/64/ FLASH EXPOSURE COMPENSATION – YES/ WIRELESS TTL TRANSMITTER - YES/ COVERAGE – 360 DEGREES/ POWER – 4 X AA BATTERIES/ MINIMUM RECYCLING TIME – 0.1 – 3.0 SECONDS/ WEIGHT – 420G

Yongnuo YN24 twin light macro flash (full review here)

GUIDE NUMBER (ISO 100) – 24M/ ZOOM HEAD – NO/ TTL AUTO EXPOSURE – YES/ HSS – NO/ MANUAL – YES. 1/1 – 1/128/ FLASH EXPOSURE COMPENSATION – YES/ WIRELESS FLASH TRANSMITTER – YES/ VERTICAL TILT – 50 DEGREES UP: 30 DEGREES DOWN: 30 AND 60 DEGREES LEFT: 30 AND 60 DEGREES RIGHT/ POWER – 4 X AA BATTERIES/ MINIMUM RECYCLING TIME – 4 SECONDS/ WEIGHT – 998G

 A few years back I decided I needed a ring flash and after searching the market I discovered the choice was limited and comprised the Canon MR14, Sigma EF14 and the Yongnuo YN14. The Canon and Sigma ring flashes were very good but they were also expensive. 

Since I owned a couple of Yongnuo speed lights I was aware of the Yongnuo brand and I was aware of the Godox quality. I knew the Yongnuo ring flash wasn’t going to be a tough and robust as the Canon and Sigma ring flashes but I knew it would still be well made, providing it was built like my Yongnuo speed lights of course. The Yongnuo was far cheaper than both the Canon and Sigma ring flashes, and since it did exactly the same job it was obvious (to me) the Yongnuo YN14 was the ring flash to buy. 

Long story short, I took a punt and ordered one. It is an excellent ring light that is easy to use, does everything I need it to and works as good today as the day I first bought it. If you want an affordable ring flash that gives the biggest bang for the buck you need to take a look at the Yongnuo YN14.

I went on a macro photography course a few years back and had the opportunity to use the Canon MT24 twin macro light. This macro light was awesome and it was put on my wish list, however due to the eye wateringly high price tag I knew there was no way I could ever justify buying one and had to make do with my Yongnuo YN14 ring flash. When Yongnuo released their YN24 twin light macro flash I immediately pre-ordered one. 

The Yongnuo YN24 was a fraction of the cost of the Canon MT24 and it was worth a punt. Even if the YN24 was no good, it was still worth a gamble.

Since I owned other Yongnuo flash products I was aware what I was likely to get, and when the YN24 was delivered it didn’t disappoint. The YN24 is an excellent bit of kit and I am so glad I took a punt. It looks like the Canon MT24, it works in the same way as the Canon MT24 and it produces the same results MT24. Okay, it isn’t as tough and robust as the Canon MT24 but when you consider it cost an eighth of the price of the Canon MT24 this is to be expected. The YN24 is very well made and put together, like all the Yongnuo flash equipment and I can seeing it is going to last a long time.


If you want to use a macro lens to take photos of dragonflies you really need to invest in a ring flash or ring light, and you won’t go far wrong with either the Yongnuo YN14 ring flash or the Yongnuo YN24 twin light. 



Photography ramblings video playlist that may be of interest

No comments:

Post a Comment