Tuesday 3 January 2017

WHY YOU SHOULD NEVER USE A SUPER SHARP LENS FOR PORTRAIT PHOTOGRAPHY

I would say that 99% of photographers, and I include myself in this, believes the holy grail of photography lenses is one that gives the ultimate in sharpness. I mean, no-one likes a soft image right? Well, other than the random 1% of photographers that is.

The sharpest lens I currently own is a macro lens (a Canon 100mm f2.8L IS - review here), and the sharpest lens I owned before buying this was the Canon 100mm f2.8 macro lens. Macro lenses are tack sharp and if there was one covering focal lengths of 8mm (the widest my Canon L series fish eye lens will zoom out to) to 400mm (the longest reach of my Canon 100 – 400L IS lens - review here) I would snap it up and use it for almost all of my trips out with the camera.

Sharpness is key, but not all of the time. Yep, believe it or not there are times when you will capture a nicer and more pleasant photo using a lens that is slightly soft. For example, taking photographs of women (and to a certain extent men) and babies is best with a ‘soft’ lens.

A super sharp lens, like a macro lens, records too much detail for portrait photography. Trust me, I have been there, tried it and hated the results I got. When I used my macro lens for portrait photography it highlighted every spot, pimple, blemish and variation in skin tone. Portraits are meant to show the model at its best and be flattering, but the portrait shots I captured with my macro lens were anything but. Okay, the model’s eyes (the gateway to the soul) were sharp (as they should be) the nose and ears were sharp and the hair was well defined, but then so were the imperfections. I wasn’t impressed at all, and needless to say neither was the model.

Fortunately, I use my sister as a model to try out all my new portrait photography equipment so poor photos weren’t too much of an issue. Had it been a paying customer though……… I fear things would have been very different, and not only losing out on money doing the shoot I reckon my reputation would have been tarnished and I would have lost out on future paid portrait sessions. The joys of living in a small town where everyone knows everyone. Never mind, the potential problems were put to bed before they had a chance to materialize.

A slightly softer lens doesn’t highlight imperfections, and hence leads to a more pleasing and flattering portrait. Sharpness, and softness is a relative term and what one photographer considers acceptable soft another photographer will consider too soft. I learned a long time ago to ignore photographers that thought my portraits were either too soft or not soft enough, and I don’t care what they say. The client is my priority, and as long as the client is happy with the portrait shots that’s all that matters, even if I think the shots aren’t quite right. At the end of the day it is the client who pays the bills, it is the client who is always right and my aim is to make sure the client is happy and will consider me (and recommend me to friends/family) for any future photo sessions.


I use a selection of lenses for portrait photography and before I start taking the “real shots” I do a test shot with each lens and show the results to the client. Basically, I let the client decide what lens they want me to use for the shoot, and not the one I think is the best. I do, of course, offer my opinion as to the best lens for a particular client or look, and if they run with it – great. If the client disagrees with me and wants me to use a different lens – that’s fine too. 

The lenses I use for portrait photography comprise the Canon 50mm f1.8 (which is the softest lens out of the lenses I use - review here), the Canon 35mm f2 IS (which is my personal favorite - review here), the Canon 16mm – 35mm f4L IS (which I use for group shots - review here), and the Canon 24mm – 70mm f2.8L (review here)


The Canon 35mm f2 IS - my favorite portrait lens

Buy from Amazon.com (US citizens)

Buy from Amazon.co.uk (UK citizens)


The lens that most of my clients want me to use is the Canon 50mm f1.8, i.e. the softest one of the lot. Most photographers, myself included, would scoff at this “cheap and cheerful” lens for high quality portraits, but the client wants what the client wants. My favorite portrait lens is the Canon 35mm f2 IS since I think this is the perfect balance. I find this lens is sharp enough to keep the features and, most importantly, the eyes sharp but not so sharp spots, pimples, blemishes and imperfections are highlighted. 













No comments:

Post a Comment