Saturday 7 January 2017

SO I PULLED THE TRIGGER ON A CANON 40MM F2.8 2.8 STM LENS

I was looking for a small and lightweight lens for my Canon 6d to provide the smallest, lightest and most portable setup, so I could have my camera with me whenever and wherever I go. The smallest and lightest lens in my bag was the Canon 50mm f1.8 lens, and whilst it is pretty small and light I wanted to go even smaller.

Finding a smaller lens wasn’t going to be too difficult, but finding a lens that was smaller and also has excellent image quality (at least as good as that of the Canon 50mm if not better) was going to be a challenge. After a lot of research I found a couple of suitable looking lenses, although the Canon 40mm f2.8 STM pancake lens seemed to be the lens to go for – and the best part was it wasn’t going to cost an arm and a leg.

Costing a little over a hundred pounds the Canon 40mm f2.8 STM lens is a little more expensive than the Canon 50mm f1.8, but it was still cheap enough for a punt so I ordered one from a local camera shop and went to collect it the following weekend – I would have liked to collect (and experiment with) the 40mm lens sooner, but normal life (AKA work) got in the way.


I obviously wanted to test the Canon 40mm f28 STM pancake lens as soon as possible, so I took my Canon 6d with me when I went to collect the lens to give it a test run. Below are some sample photos taken with the Canon 40mm f2.8 STM pancake lens 10 minutes after collecting the lens:-

"Lord Nelson" bar

"Horse ride"

"Tattoo parlor"

"Shopping arcade"

"The Empire"


I have to say that I am very impressed with the Canon 40mm f2.8 STM lens and I can’t wait to get out there and take photos of subjects I want to take photos of, and not just what’s happening a few streets away from my local camera shop.

If you shoot a Canon camera and want a small, lightweight and portable lens that is well built and has excellent image quality you may want to take a look at the Canon 40mm f2.8 STM pancake lens.
"And here is the awesome Canon 40mm f2.8 STM"

Buy from Amazon.com (US citizens)

Buy from Amazon.co.uk (UK citizens)

No comments:

Post a Comment