Tuesday 27 December 2016

USING A TELE LENS FOR LANDSCAPE PHOTOGRAPHY

If I were to ask the question “What is the best lens for landscape photography?” I am sure most people would quickly respond with ‘wide angle lens’. Ninety percent of the time I would probably agree that a wide-angle lens is the most suitable lens for landscape photography, however there are times when there is a better option, and that is a tele lens.

Yep, there are times when instinctively reaching for the wide-angle lens is not the best thing to do, and instead a tele lens is the best lens choice.

A tele lens is ideal to pick out and focus on specific items a long way off in the distance and a tele lens is ideal for compressing a scene and giving it a different perspective.

The Canon 100 - 400L IS lens - awesome for landscapes

There are many tele lenses available, all of which are great for landscape photography so there is a lens for all, regardless of the brand of camera you shoot, the level at which you shoot and your budget. I shoot a Canon 6d and I use a Canon 100 – 400L IS lens for landscape photography. It is an awesome lens and I have managed to capture some great photos with it.


The Canon 100-400L IS lens is a big and heavy lens, so it is not ideal when I want or need to travel light. When weight and photography equipment is an issue I use a Canon 70-200 f4L IS lens for travelling light. This is another awesome lens that is more than capable of capturing some stunning landscape photos.



Canon 70 - 200f f4L IS for travelling light

You’ve probably already guessed that I am a fan of tele lenses for landscape photography (for certain scenarios of course) and I recommend all landscape photographers carry one in their lens bag. If you are sitting on the fence about this, and not totally convinced you may want to have a look at “Travelling light – Landscape photography” which may (or may not) make you change your mind. 











No comments:

Post a Comment